The Mirror

Upcoming Games

The Mirror

The Mirror

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Training for the future

Students embrace new mentorship opportunity
Will Ortbals
Jack Trout ’25 and Michael Schmidt ’25 walk out of the tunnel in the home opener football game against Chaminade on Sept. 8.

New opportunities await, as the schools athletic trainer Alex Brody opened the doors to its new athletic training shadow program for students who are interested in getting involved with health care. 

“It’s important to show that there’s many aspects to health care,” Brody said. “There’s many different types of doctors, and there’s many different avenues within healthcare.”

This program is for students who want an idea of what it’s like to be a trainer. 

Students in the program will get a better understanding of what Trainer Brody’s education is, along with what he does on and off the field before, after, and between games. 

“It’s important that we are able to provide students with the opportunity to observe and see what it’s like to be an athletic trainer,” Brody said. “And get exposure to the healthcare industry.”

It is available for anyone who’s interested, and you don’t have to be enrolled in any specific classes. 

The only requirement is for students to have an interest in going into something like health care or sports medicine. 

“Come in with the attitude of I’m not just coming to watch sports, I’m coming to learn,” Brody said. “And I’m actually interested in all this, that’s all I ask.”

The program goes on during the fall, winter, and spring, and you can do it for one particular season, or all school year round. 

The new program is a huge addition to the De Smet community, as it helps grow it.

“I think that’s huge for the community here,” Brody said. “There’s kids who are trying to pick between a couple of the MCC schools, and they can look and see that there’s an opportunity for me to kind of get my foot in the water at DeSmet.”

The max amount of people the program allows is 10, but if there are more, arrangements can be made to fit those people in. 

Junior Jack Trout joined the program this year and can be seen on the sidelines at all the varsity sporting events.

“It’s a great way to see what happens behind the scenes of the football team and the soccer team,” Trout 25’ said. “And learn how to diagnose injuries and get more information as to what goes on with the athletic trainer.”

You can get a hold of trainer Brody at [email protected]. This is posted all throughout the school as well.

This is an opportunity that most schools do not offer.

“You’ve got kids who are managers and help out with the athletic trainer, and fill waters and things like that,” Brody said. “But my guys do a lot more than just that, they are learning how to tape ankles and they’re learning the anatomy and physiology.”