The Mirror

Upcoming Games

The Mirror

The Mirror

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Still time to pick up hours for service requirements

Will Timmons ’24
Andrew Harzy ’24, Anthony Mercurio ’24, and Scottie Rupp ’24 prepare lunch at St. Center.

The second semester is here, and time is ticking for Spartans to complete their required service hours.

For sophomores, they must complete 25 hours of service, juniors must complete the Junior Service Program, and seniors must complete 50 hours. Although sophomores can complete their service hours in any different number of places, seniors are not allowed to go serve at more than two organizations.

“[For sophomores], it’s more about just learning how to give time just helping out where needed,” Junior Service Director Mr. John Hawkey said. “For seniors, it’s more about making a commitment to an organization and working long term.”

Although De Smet gives opportunities to sophomores for service opportunities, students are encouraged to participate in opportunities outside of the school.

“Sophomores, I always recommend reaching out to your parish,” Mr. Hawkey said. “Helping out around the neighborhood or you got an elderly neighbor who needs help with their yard. It is just kind of what the little things are where you can make a difference.”

Leaders of De Smet service encourage students to find something that they are interested in to help them decide where they will serve.

“I’m a huge fan of the Solomon Project, which is every Saturday,” Mr. Hawkey said. “I really enjoy doing that, going by there when I can on the weekends and going in and helping out.”

Students are encouraged to find local places around them to serve so that they can feel like they are bettering their communities.

“So far I have worked on local homes with my parents and helping out my local middle school Sacred Heart,” sophomore Jack Ilges said. “I loved the feeling of building up my community, it felt really good.”

The goal that De Smet has for these service hours is to create men who enjoy being a servant and representing God outside of Mass and theology class.

“The idea is that service should be a part of our life,” Mr. Hawkey said. “So when you grow up these are things you invest in. Service should be fun, it should be rewarding.”