The Mirror

The Mirror

The Mirror

AP is not worth it

Advanced+Placement+are+offered+at+the+school%2C+but+are+not+worth+it+for+those+are+naturally+bad+test+takers.+
Will Timmons
Advanced Placement are offered at the school, but are not worth it for those are naturally bad test takers.

This past year, 1.2 million people took AP (Advanced Placement) tests which are exams that are scored 1-5 for students enrolled in a class for college credit. The credit is usually awarded to students with a four or five on the prestigious tests, but are known for their enormous difficulty as the content on the exam encompasses a whole year of learning. Currently, the school offers 16 different AP classes for this academic year, and very soon, the students who have been preparing for the test since August, will take their exam determining if they will get the college credit or not. Save your time, if you have the option, don’t take them.

I’m all for students taking more rigorous classes. However, this doesn’t mean they have to let all of their progress and potential college credit ride on one exam. There’s just too much pressure on students, and to me, the exam doesn’t accurately examine the person’s knowledge on the subject they are learning. The multiple choice, short answers, and essay questions, which are all timed, put extensive pressure on students, and I imagine that poor grades aren’t always because of lack of preparation. It could be one row of messed up bubbles that could determine the difference between a three or a four. 

The AP offers college credit for almost all subject areas, and again, makes you take the stressful three hour exam. College credit is available in other ways that are much more worth it for students. The 1818 program through SLU offers college credit accepted almost everywhere, includes most subjects, and sometimes offers more than the AP. The beauty of taking these college credit classes is that there is no final exam. It is all based on your grade every semester. While still a difficult class, there is significantly less pressure without the exam and a better chance at the credit as colleges will accept anything above a B. 

It’s important to note that AP is accepted everywhere, and a five on the AP U.S. History test will look better than an A in the 1818 class. Also, if you’re good at standardized tests, then you should absolutely take these. However, if you’re like me who isn’t, I’d avoid them. The year-long stress of having a final exam hanging over your head should be rethought. Again, this is not an advertisement to take easier classes, but if you have the option, take the opportunity to get  college credit in other ways and to not be concerned with getting a whole year of college finished before you conclude high school.