Junior projects working differently this year

A look into the changes being made to service projects

Chris Schroeder, S.J.

Juniors Peter Molitor and Dominic Genovese take part in their service project.

Donovan Hughes, Staff Writer

With the ever-changing world, De Smet has to evolve and that includes its service projects. Instead of working the entire year, juniors will sign a service contract stating they will work with a program, at events, or with other opportunities that arise.

“It allows us to give back to the community”, Junior Matthew Shultz said. “Whether it’s our community or another that needs help. It allows us to form connections with people who we have never met or talked to.

Juniors will log their time in the MobileServe app that they used as sophomores. Last year sophomores had to log 10 hours, but now they will have to log 40 hours. This gives a bigger chance to help communities.

“A big part of the Jesuits is to give up what you have and put others before yourself and serve others who are less fortunate,” Shultz said. “As a part of De Smet they want us to help the community and help the people that need it the most. This is part of Jesuit culture, forming connections with people.”

The contract allows for multiple locations for a student to work at. The only requirement for a new location to work at is to complete the service contract.

“I’m glad I can work at multiple places,” Shultz said. “I don’t want to be limited to a single community. I know there are many people struggling in communities all over St. Louis.”

With the spread of COVID-19 affecting all parts of De Smet Junior projects are no different. Although changing some parts of junior projects it still is about strengthening the connection between De Smet and the community.

“I think it’s important to do our service through these trying times,” Shultz said. “I look at saints who worked with or around people that were were sick and how they still tried to help others even in a dangerous situation.”