Fall play goes on despite COVID-19 restrictions

Theatre program changing norms in order to perform

Sebastian Kelly

Senior Justin Kennedy rehearses a scene for the upcoming fall play “Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind” scheduled for Oct. 15-18.

Sebastian Kelly, Staff Writer

The De Smet Dioynesian Players will perform their annual fall play in the theatre Oct. 15-18 but face COVID-19 restrictions.
The theatre program canceled their previously scheduled plays for the 2020-2021 school year. They found an alternative that could be performed with the restrictions called “Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind.”
“There’s no way to really anticipate what the year’s going to look like, what protocols will be in place, what protocols won’t be in place,” Drama Director & Theatre Manager Kurt Knoedelseder said. “We really needed to switch up and be in a position to be more flexible.”
This kind of play makes it easier to social distance because the play consists of 30 mini-plays in about an hour. The students can continue in their passions because the way they set it up allows them to perform with COVID restrictions.
“I’m really excited that we actually get to perform on stage, while still trying to remain safe and socially distanced,” senior Justin Kennedy said, “making sure all the cast and crew stay safe through all this, that we get to perform in front of a live audience, which a lot of schools aren’t getting to do.”
Anybody can attend the fall play, but there will be some limited seating, only 50 people a night. Tickets will be sold for $5 and they can be purchased by contacting Ryan Sextro at [email protected].
“The COVID-19 restrictions impact everything, from the choice of the play, to how many kids I have at rehearsal, to exactly how we’ll do the movement on stage and have to change things up,” Mr. Knoedelseder said. “It’s just going to cause us to be more creative. Since theatre is a creative art, I think our kids will be up for the task.”