School to honor three state championship teams

Kevin Berns

The three 2019 state championship trophies sit on display in the athletic office. An all-school assembly will honor the three teams Jan. 10.

Sebastian Kelly, Staff Writer

The De Smet football, soccer and baseball teams will be honored in an all-school assembly, on Jan 10. De Smet plans on gathering all of the student body and faculty, during the school day, raising the moral high, for the home-opener basketball game against CBC that night at De Smet.

“Something like this is important, for a couple of reasons, I think one, it kind of allows a team event, to become more of a community event,” Director of Student Activities Michael Russo said.” If you look in the stands at any football game, the soccer game, or the state baseball game, obviously the players on the field are the ones who are winning the championship, everybody who’s kind of in that venue, or apart of this school, feels like it’s theirs as well.”

De Smet defeated Lee’s Summit at the World Wide Technology Soccer Park on Nov. 23. The Spartans won the class 4 Missouri state soccer championship 1-0. Head Coach Josh Klein and his team survived 13 rounds of penalty kicks.

Head Football Coach Robert Steeples, won his second class 6 football Missouri state championship, he’d won one as a player and now his second as a coach. De Smet defeating Joplin High School 35-20, at Faurot Field in Colombia, Mo, on Nov 30. De Smet was down 20-14 at halftime, with 7 of those points coming late in the first half. In the second half, De Smet offense came alive, while on defense, they held Joplin entirely scoreless for the rest of the game.

Head Baseball Coach Dave Stewart, on June 1, lead the Spartans to a 6-4 victory over Marquette in the Class 5 Missouri state baseball championship. The game was played at CarShield Field, in O’Fallon, Mo. De Smet beat Marquette, after losing to them twice in April. De Smet defense forced Marquette to strand 14 runners on base.

“I think it’ll be a great honoring of the achievements of all the teams, I think there will be a lot of great pride and respect given to the teams for their accomplishments and to the community with that,” Theology Teacher John Hawkey said. “I think it will be a really classy, really neat way to celebrate it.”

Students are encouraged to wear their ‘maroon platoon’ shirts on the day of the pep rally. KSDK Sports Director Frank Cusumano ’80 will MC the event.