Big Draw, Big Winners

Students receive day off for meeting school-wide ticket sales goal.

Marquis Govan

Big Draw Spokesman Gene Bender celebrates with several of the students who sold the winning tickets. They include Justin Roschke ’22, Jack Bednarek ’22, Luke Bauer ’20, Evan Jager ’20, Louis Hess ’21, Cameron Gibson ’21, Nick Miller ’20, and Caden Brown ’20.

Ryan Moore and Jack Venneman

“Gentlemen!” His voice booms over the mic and the crowd erupts. As the crowd begins to settle he announces that the goal was met. The crowd roars and the anticipation of who sold the winning ticket begins to escalate. And the winner is…

The Big Draw is an online raffle that takes place each year in efforts to raise money for things such as clubs, sports and other activities.

Today marks the end of a three week campaign for students to sell tickets to relatives, neighbors, or anyone who wanted to buy a ticket. The magic number of tickets that needed to be sold by Sept. 20 was 5,360.

“This never happens by one person, two people, or even ten people,” Math teacher Eugene Bender said. “It’s everybody around the school that makes this thing happen.”

Students were incentivized with prizes for the top salesman and for students selling eight, 10, 12, and 15 tickets. The top salesmen, junior Kyle Stockmann, sold a total of 109 tickets.

“I really like how the Big Draw is geared towards giving back to clubs and organizations at De Smet,” Stockmann said. “Being the guy that sold the most tickets is pretty cool too.”

The top prize was $25,000 for the raffle winner and the seller, junior Louis Hess, received $500. This is one of the most sought after prizes and is announced at the Big Draw Ceremony the same day the campaign ends.

“I couldn’t believe that I had sold the winning ticket,” Hess said. “I was absolutely ecstatic.”

Students were relieved as Bender announced that the goal was indeed met and everyone will have the day off on Oct. 21.

“As we unveil the Big Draw winners, it is easy to think that it is all about winning money,” Bender said. “We must remember all those who bought tickets and see them as men and women for and with us.”