Innovating Education

Students create an avenue for a new way to help their teachers

photo by Michael Dolan

Sophomore Jacob Lorimier attentively listens during an in-class demonstration about Lord of the Flies.

Jack Venneman, Web Editor

Students involved with NHS have created a resource called the ‘Magis Review’ to provide teachers feedback and improve education as a whole at school.

“The idea started with last years seniors,” NHS Moderator Robert Hutchison said. “They wanted to be able to provide constructive criticism and positive feedback for teachers.”

In its testing phase, department chairs will pilot this new review system with their students. The hope is for those teachers to receive constructive criticism and utilize it to make their teaching style better for students.

“The purpose of this is to see what a teacher is doing well,” Hutchison said. “This will hopefully provide this avenue for [students] to safely say what they think could be better.”

New NHS officers John Fotouhi and Alex Bentele presented the idea during a faculty meeting, displaying the objective they have for the review in the long run.

“The goal is that teachers will utilize it as a useful tool,” Fotouhi said. “A lot of [the faculty] had ideas on what we could improve with the form. We took those into account and made changes.”

Students wanting to provide feedback to teachers will submit it through Microsoft Forms. That information will then be sent to Assistant Principal for Curriculum and Instruction Dr. Peter Musso, and then relayed back to the teachers with all the feedback they received from their students.

The primary goal of the review is for students to give teachers positive evaluation. Ultimately, it is trying to help the students by giving them an avenue to give their thoughts to their teachers privately.

“We are trying to educate the students and maybe what we are doing isn’t working all the time,” Hutchison said. “We need to receive feedback from students about what is going well and what could be better so that we can make those changes.”