Model UN club to debate global issues in Chicago

ElliottAYoung

Students travel to Chicago to participate in the Model UN.

Spencer Caldwell, Staff Writer

Attending Model United Nations conference on Feb. 7-10 in Chicago, English teachers Nick Dressler and Sean Cavanagh will moderate 19 delegates in their attempt to resolve world issues.

“Although a simulation of a UN proceeding, the delegates benefit from a real-world convergence of students from all over the U.S. and the world,” Cavanagh said. “It is akin to simply growing up, so the trip satisfies both an intellectual and psychological need to adapt calmly and productively to new situations.”

The trip gives the student delegates a great opportunity to handle real-world problems in a fun way.

“It seems like a great learning experience about things that I may be interested in the future,” senior Teddy Delker said. “I’m excited about getting to spend a weekend with of my friends and learning about politics and how the UN works”.

Model UN attracts people from all over the world, giving delegates an opportunity to experience the United Nations on a personal level.

“I would say I am most excited to meet all the new people I get to meet,” senior Troy Schneider said. “It’s not just people from around the country but around the world and you get to experience a lot of different cultures”

The trip brings a new experience that many students are looking forward to.

“It sounded like a good opportunity to get out of my comfort zone and try something new,” senior Max Schaeffer said. “I’m excited to meet and interact with different students from all over the United States.”