Demerits go high tech

Kevin Berns

Student stands in front of teacher as he gives the student a demerit.

Spencer Caldwell, Staff Writer

Dean of Students Peter Lenzini is making the transition from demerit cards to digital demerits. Different from last years demerit system, the demerits have gone completely digital.  

“At De Smet we try to see everything through the lense of relationship and community,” Lenzini said. “I think anytime you paint a clearer picture of what’s going on you’re a little closer to the truth. I think it benefits our whole community.”

Senior Huxley Waller enjoys the convenience of the digital demerit system over the demerit card.

“I think that the demerit system is a lot more helpful for the students rather than having to keep track of your demerit card as well as your student ID,” Waller said. “It’s now all in one. I also think it’s very efficient to keep track of your demerits electronically.”

The new system requires students to keep their ID card with them in place of their demerit card.

“I think the new demerit system is good,” sophomore Hudson Lillibridge said. “But I don’t think they are implementing it the right way with the ID cards.”

The new rule states that teachers should have a conversation with the student after the demerit has been given.

“I prefer it to the old one in that it eliminates some steps and some potential hardships like a guy not having his card,” English teacher Henry Samson said. “There’s probably a learning curve for teachers and students but after a little bit it’s gonna be really easy and I’m happy we are doing it.”

Teachers enjoy the convenience of having the students demerit card on their computer.

“I like it in that you don’t have to ask for a kids card and you don’t have to interrupt your class when dealing with a discipline issue,” history teacher Matt Mohan said. “It’s easy, it’s convenient and it eliminates a lot of confrontation.”