The Mirror

The new principal

Poelker has moved up into the position of principal and students are wondering how the school will change.

Brian Grassi

Brian Grassi

Brennan Dolnick, Editor-in-Chief

After several months of interviewing different candidates, Kevin Poelker has been named the new principal.

“I think what I’m most excited for the is the opportunity to serve this school in a new role,” Poelker said. “De Smet’s a really special place to me and I can’t wait to get started.”

Poelker graduated high school here in 1998 and was hired right out of undergrad as a theology teacher. He has also been a head basketball coach, freshman soccer coach, and a track coach during his time here. And he spent the past year as Assistant Principal before being named Head Principal.

“Most know Mr. Poelker as a former theology teacher and basketball coach or as our current Assistant Principal for Student Welfare and Discipline,” President Corey Quinn said. “These student-centered roles have helped prepare him to ensure that we at De Smet Jesuit keep the students front and center in our mission.”

For now, Poelker doesn’t have any changes in mind that he wants to implement to the school, but he wants to make sure the school continues to support the things they’re doing successfully. Poelker wants to put an emphasis on supporting teachers so that they can be put in a place that makes not only them successful but as the students.

“I think we have great teachers here at De Smet,” Poelker said. “And I can’t wait to start my new role working with them.”

Poelker owes much his success to the De Smet Jesuit community. He looks forward to supporting the formation of young men here and he wants the school to stay entrusted to our care in partnership with parents and faculty.

“If students invest in the school they will find that this is a very special place,” Poelker said. “I encourage students to really dive into the experience headfirst.”

Brennan Dolnick, Editior-in-chief

Favorite food:
Chicken and rice

Hobbies:
Golf, hanging with friends, watching sports, and video games

Favorite fast food place:
Taco Bell

Never...