Wordle craze hits school

Nick+Abel+22+successfully+completes+the+daily+Wordle+on+his+laptop+in+his+free+time+at+school.+

Evan Scanlon

Nick Abel ’22 successfully completes the daily Wordle on his laptop in his free time at school.

Colby Quinn '24, Staff Writer

Wordle, the five-letter game taking over people’s productivity. Millions of players tune into creator Josh Wardle’s game, originally created as a simple word puzzle for his wife’s enjoyment.

Recent surveys have shown that <20% of young adults play Wordle each day, and suggest the percentage is much higher in students.

“I saw someone play [wordle] at school one day,” sophomore Ethan Wehmueller said. “Right after that, I was hooked.”

Wordle’s easy access, sharable stats, and “educational” nature makes it extremely inviting to all audiences-spreading very easily.

Mr. Hall has spent weeks studying what the best starting word for Wordle is, his conclusion is “adieu.” With supporting words like “salet,” “crate,” and “trace,” Mr. Hall has amassed a 51+ day streak in the brain buster.

“Someone was talking about it on Twitter,” Mr. Hall, Theology teacher, said. “I saw a lot about it, so I was like; ‘I’ll give it a shot.’”

Wordle game #284 completed in three guesses on March 30. (Screenshot of nytimes.com/games/wordle/index.html)

Teachers enjoy using Wordle as a way to relate to students, and a way to build vocabulary.

“It started a couple of weeks ago in English class. I was sitting in class, minding my own business when our teacher started dyknowing us, and interacting with kids who were playing Wordle in class,” Connor Gunn, a junior with a 90% win rate, said. “I played it once, and was addicted.”