Senior set to attend naval academy

Debbie Higgins

Jesse Hahs ’22 holds his acceptance letter from the United States Naval Academy after a nomination from Illinois Congressman Mike Bost.

Clark Chamberlin, Staff Writer

Senior Jesse Hahs has been accepted into the United States Naval Academy, located in Annapolis, Maryland, where he will be attending school for the next four years.

“It was a very long process,” Hahs said. “To just get told no would have been crushing.”

Only 9% of applicants are accepted into the Naval Academy, with similar percentages for the other three military academies. Not only are high grades and a clean bill of health required, but one must also be nominated by a senator or congressman before somebody can even be considered by school admissions. Hahs was nominated by Congressman Mike Bost of the Illinois 12th. Hahs has also been accepted to the U. S. Military Academy at Westpoint and the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.

“It’s extremely competitive, especially in our district with highly qualified students,” College Counselor Dave Bolland said. “He’s a perfect candidate for it. I’m very pleased that he is able to fulfill his dreams, but not necessarily surprised.”

Hahs hopes to gain leadership experience that can’t be gained at traditional colleges that are more job-oriented.

“In a college, you’re just kind of by yourself taking classes and learning how to do a job,” Hahs said. “Here, you’re getting the experience of working with a team and learning how to achieve a goal with other people.”

After the Academy, Hahs hopes to remain in the armed forces for longer than the five years required to pay off the education provided by the Naval Academy.

“He is above the fray,” Wrestling Coach Aedryan Cox said. “Academically, athletically, he’s shown that he is one of the best that there is. I have no doubt that that’s going to continue at the next level as well.”

Hahs is excited to go spend the next nine or more years of his life with the military.

“It’s a very beneficial path as a person,” Hahs said. “But you have to have some mental fortitude to actually persevere through it.”