Students voice their support for new club

John Hawkey

Kyle Granquist ’22 discusses the spring musical “Be More Chill” with Nick Abel ’22, music director Ray Sharrock and Beau Reichert ’22. The group is using the new podcast club to discuss school issues.

Donovan Hughes, Managing Editor

With the rapid growth of the amount of podcasts in the world, students have decided that De Smet needs one of its own that talks about the life and interests of its students in ways that other podcasts can’t. The podcast covers a wide number of topics from March Madness to Mission Week with different students and teachers participating in each episode that are released every Monday with senior Kyle Granquist staying for each episode as podcast host.

“It’s been something we’ve been wanting to do for a long time,” Director of De Smet Student Network (DSN) John Hawkey said. “This year, we had guys who were still interested, some new guys who were very excited about trying to do it.”

The first podcast was released to Spotify on Jan. 30 with six more episodes having come out so far. The ever revolving cast allows for new perspectives and allows for new voices to take over. Anyone who has an idea for an episode can bring it up to Mr. Hawkey or to one of the hosts and can get their idea into a podcast and also be a part of it.

“My favorite part is having different guests,” Granquist said. “It makes each episode unique and enjoyable because I never know what’s going to happen.”

A De Smet podcast has been discussed for four years with another podcast before this one coming before, but due to the COVID pandemic that was shelved until now there were enough students backing it for it to take off.

“It’s been something we’ve been wanting to do for a long time,” Mr. Hawkey said. “This year, we had guys who were still interested, some new guys who were very excited about trying to do it. And so we finally got the opportunity to kick it off and get it going.”

This podcast is meant to be open to all of the school so that they can discuss what they want and so other students can hear what they have to say and hear their opinions. So far there have been 15 guests so far on the podcast but the amount can grow and will be able to return.

“I’m impressed with the work the guys do and the excitement they bring to it and encourage anybody who wants to be a part of it,” Mr. Hawkey said. “Anybody who wants to share what we do, share their experiences have just met, come, reach out, let us know and come join one of the podcasts sometime.”