Late starts help build brotherhood, leadership

Kevin Berns

The statue of Fr. Peter De Smet greets students as they enter the school each day. Students will have eight days this year when school will start 40 minutes later to give leaders of clubs and activities time to plan various events.

For the First time in four years, the administrative team has incorporated a late start into the monthly schedules. With the help of eight late starts, student leaders will be planning the return of numerous previously annual activities, postponed and canceled due to COVID.

The clubs all being together in the morning made it easier to work together on new events and figure out what was needed from the school as a whole.

— Stuco leader Cole Grothoff

One of the Administrative Team’s focal points for the late starts is to reincorporate student leadership into school-run events, including mixers, dances, and house competitions.      

“We wanted to have a set time for student formation teams to have time to get together,” Assistant Principal Chris Williams said. “We’re trying to get the students to take leadership for more activities for the school.”

Student Club leaders are able to meet for an hour before school, instead of the previous fifteen minutes during advisory. 

“Being able to meet in the morning really helped Stuco build connections with other clubs,” senior Stuco Leader Cole Grothoff said. “The clubs all being together in the morning made it easier to work together on new events and figure out what was needed from the school as a whole. The late start helped Stuco to hear from more people. This helped to give us time to see other clubs or people that Stuco doesn’t usually involve.”

While some parents and students may find the late starts hassling, and the shortened classes stressful, Mr. Williams and the Academic Team are confident in their decision.

“It’s a pretty minor adjustment for what we’re hoping to be a big payoff,” Mr. Williams said. “Hopefully all the students will end up benefiting because we’ll have better student-run activities.”