“And we’re live!”

Connor Pohl

Sophomore Kalle Evjen spends his time outside school live-streaming video games to other gamers around the world.

Jack Venneman, Web Editor

Juggling the stress of spending time with family, friends, or on homework may sound like more than enough for some people in high school. But for this student, adding something else to those three main things is something others may not think of at first. It requires consistency, positivity, and determination to gain recognition.

“I started by building my platform off of playing games that weren’t as mainstream as ones like Fortnite,” Evjen said. “It made it easier to build my stream up over time as there weren’t as many channels playing the same game that I was.”

Evjen streams video games such as Call of Duty, Rocket League, Minecraft, Rainbow Six Siege, and Valorant. He began to build up the look of his channel to attract more viewers and gain an audience.

“I started practicing visual design and created a few logos to start off,” Evjen said. “Once I liked the look of one, I took it and ran with it, hoping my future viewers would see something that would attract them to my live stream.”

The sophomore streamer earns money from ad-revenue, subscriptions, and donations on the live streaming platform known as Twitch. He has had a total of 67 subscribers that pay monthly to stay subscribed to his channel. You can find his livestreaming channel here

“The money I earned was little to start out,” Evjen said. “Even though it’s grown a little bit, I know that I can keep getting my revenue to increase.”

As he started out, his parents questioned his ability to make his want to stream for more than just a hobby.

“Even with my parents telling me I spend too much time doing it, it’s what I love to do,” Evjen said. “All it is is just me hanging out with my friends and having a really relaxed and enjoyable time.”

Even still, Evjen knows that there are tons of other young streamers trying to build their own brand, and he knows what needs to be done to get closer to achieving a higher status.

“Consistency is also so key for your scheduling if you want to try to become a streamer,” Evjen said. “To all the other live streamers out there, keep grinding, it’ll pay off.”