Seniors to take ACT test Tuesday

File

Seniors will take the ACT on campus Oct. 6. For many, it is the first time they will take the test due to Covid-19 restrictions.

John Baxendale, Contributing Writer

To allow seniors to still take the ACT during the pandemic, De Smet has devised a plan for the seniors to take the test on campus Oct. 6 with testing beginning at 9:00 am.

“With the pandemic ever since March, most of the ACT testing opportunities have been canceled and the majority of our senior class has not had the opportunity to take the test yet,” Assistant Principal Chris Williams said. “Many colleges have gone with test-optional admission, but a good test score can’t hurt and most academic scholarships are not test-optional.”

Juniors, sophomores, and freshmen will not have school that day and there will be no Formation Friday. Instead, in the spring, the juniors will take the ACT test, sophomores will take the pre-ACT, and freshmen will take the pre-ACT 8-9. These tests are meant to help freshmen and sophomores for the national test they take as a junior and a senior.

“I took the ACT on September 12 and this is another opportunity to get a higher score on it,” senior Michael Matterm said. “Having it at De Smet is really key because it is a similar environment to what I am used to and that really helps you in your test-taking ability.”

I think this has been a really good investment of our time and money for our school to help our senior class in the college admission and scholarship admission process.

— Assistant Principal Chris Williams

Previous classes at De Smet had averages in the high 25 to low 26 range and an average of 27 when using students’ best scores from every category.

“Because it is later in their academic career I think they are more likely to score higher,” Mr. Williams said. “Hopefully because it is here in the building and they are more comfortable with their surroundings it outweighs any test anxiety.”

The ACT is completely free for seniors; $45 dollars will be covered by the school. Students should arrive at 8:45 am, there will be no lunch during the test day, and school dress code will not be required, but dress appropriately. All pandemic procedures will be the same as if it was a normal school day, bring your De Smet I.D. and lanyard, and be sure to bring a calculator and two number two pencils. There will be an additional email sent on Oct. 5 with room assignments and key reminders.

“I think our seniors are going to do very well with this,” Mr. Williams said. “I think this has been a really good investment of our time and money for our school to help our senior class in the college admission and scholarship admission process.”