De Smet Jesuit Marches for Life

De+Smet+students+join+hundreds+of+thousands+gathered+to+march+in+D.C.+on+Jan.+22.+

Mr. Michael Russo

De Smet students join hundreds of thousands gathered to march in D.C. on Jan. 22.

Matt Savio, Editorial Editor

The March for Life in Washington D.C. started in 1974 as a demonstration of about 20,000 people and has since grown into the world’s largest Pro Life event. De Smet Jesuit students and faculty members joined hundreds of thousands of others in the march on Thursday, Jan. 22.

Many De Smet students attended the event–eight with De Smet, around 22 with the Arch Diocese, and others with families and parishes.

“It was uplifting to bump into these other students and see that so many young men were willing to stand up for their beliefs in the attempt to support a culture that protects all human life,” Campus Ministry Moderator Mr. Michael Russo said.

The march is held on the anniversary of the 1973 “Roe v. Wade” decision that legalized abortion nationwide.

Studies conducted by the National Abortion Federation indicate that 85% of all disabled infants are aborted, and the national abortion average is about 20%. The march’s goal is to bring attention to the issue of abortion, not only during the march, but always.

According to Mr. Russo, the scope of the crowd was a massive and uniting force for those in attendance.
This year’s March for Life was the largest attended yet, drawing a crowd of just over 700,000 people from around the country.

“The growing number of marchers each year, the growing percentage of youngsters who are Pro Life, is proof that America will also be an even better country in its future,” Russo said.

The weekend included many activities such as a rally before the march, testimonies, speeches by Missouri Representatives, and a conference on life at Georgetown University.