The Mirror

Upcoming Games

The Mirror

The Mirror

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The Impact of Junior Projects

Junior strives for inclusion at local special education school
Junior+Dominic+Nicoletti+and+one+of+the+students+in+his+homeroom+pose+for+a+picture+in+the+cafeteria+before+dismissing+for+the+school+day.+
Petra Baker
Junior Dominic Nicoletti and one of the students in his homeroom pose for a picture in the cafeteria before dismissing for the school day.

Dominic is welcomed every Monday by a mural on the wall displaying the type of kids he would be working with. He is greeted by a little girl with a high-five and a warm hug. She may not know his name, but she knows one thing: That he’s there to help her. 

“What it’s like working with Nusra is different every day, there is so much excitement in her and whenever she sees me and we get to work on things. She is eager to learn and I can see her enjoyment from her smile and laugh whenever we are with each other.”

Dominic Nicoletti is currently involved in the junior service project program that is in full swing for the first time since before COVID. The program began in the 1970s when students would spend a couple weeks at their site without going to school, a similar program to many in the area. It evolved to its current style, every Monday, years later, one that the school considers to be unique.

“What you begin to see is when you’re out there for a couple of weeks, you don’t have to invest as much energy into it,” Junior Service Projects Director John Hawkey said. “We begin to see that if you know you have six months to go, you’re going to approach it in a much more thoughtful manner. Over an entire year, you also get the chance to see your success more.”

Many types of sites are offered through the program ranging from early-childhood care to elderly care or from special education to refugee affairs. The diversity of the program allows students to pick based on potential interests.

“Students can begin to open their eyes a bit more and begin to recognize what their abilities are by stepping out of their comfort zone,” Mr. Hawkey said. “They can make an impact here and there, but more of the impact is on themselves and what they are and who they are.”

I’ve had to push myself more because I wasn’t accustomed to this type of experience. Building the relationships with the kids I’m working with has been awesome. They’re excited to see me. It’s cool seeing the kids try and learn who I am.”

— Dominic Nicoletti '25

Some of the students who are making that impact are involved at a special education school in the city called Gateway Michael. The school serves kids of a variety of backgrounds and mental and physical ailments ranging from cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injuries, autism, or orthopedic impairments.

Gateway Michael Principal Petra Baker recognizes the difference the juniors make.

“I look at the relationships that are built during their time here,” Principal Petra Baker said. “My students love consistency even though it’s only for half a day once a week. They may not remember names, but they remember faces and how they’re treated.”

Ms. Baker also thinks that it is a two-way street with the juniors learning too.

“My population is very different from your typical developmental children,” Ms. Baker said. “I think when they take the time to build a relationship with the students that they meet, then it does make a huge impact on the students that serve too.”

A part of the junior team at Gateway Michael is Dominic Nicoletti who has worked at the school since September. He has had an enlightening experience thus far.

“I’ve had to push myself more because I wasn’t accustomed to this type of experience,” Nicoletti said. “Building the relationships with the kids I’m working with has been awesome. They’re excited to see me. It’s cool seeing the kids try and learn who I am.”

Nicoletti has served as an extra set of hands for the Gateway Michael staff to help the students along the way in learning numbers, letters, or basic words. He hopes the experience can continue to be fruitful.

“The students are all different and have something unique about them,” Nicoletti said. “I want to continue to [understand more about] this community that I’m not familiar with compared to the ones I’m used to living in every day.”

The impact doesn’t stop with the juniors and students they are serving. Their work affects the teachers too.

“They are very flexible, very prompt, respectful, and passionate tutors for our classroom, Special Education Teacher Christopher Hall said. “It’s been a pleasure having De Smet at our school.”

Whether it’s a school administrator, a teacher, or a student everyone gets the chance with the junior service project program to make that impact, but understand their role as a Catholic.

“The program can hopefully show you how service can become more integrated into your everyday life and your long-term life,” Mr. Hawkey said. “The goal is to begin to show how service can become a part of who you are.