Connor Gunn '23

Chemistry teacher Jim Walsh ’74 prepares to finish his 41-year-long teaching career at De Smet Jesuit.

Riding off into the sunset

May 20, 2022

Over his many years of teaching, Walsh has seen major changes, yet also many things stay the same around the halls.

“The students have changed but really only in mirroring societal changes,” Walsh said. “The energy and charisma of the students have remained the same, the excellent caliber of students is the reason I have enjoyed every one of my 41 years.”

In an illustrious career, there has been a multitude of moments that have made an impact on Walsh, but there are a few big themes, in particular, that he loved.

“Working with the other faculty has been so fulfilling,” Walsh said, “and what I’ve learned from different role models and mentors over the years has been great.”

Overall, pride in this institution has kept Walsh coming back all these years.

“The way the student body has come together many times through tragedy is really impressive,” Walsh said. “The pride I have being able to say I am associated with this place when a group or an individual does something incredible is immeasurable.”

After such a long career there are some things Walsh will miss about the school.

“I’m going to miss the energy, positivity, and comradery of the students,” Walsh said. “They have continually given me new life, day after day, year after year. I wish them all the best.”

The Mirror • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Mirror Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *