A big letdown

Spring athletes react to their seasons being officially canceled

Kevin Berns

The turf sits empty after MSHSAA cancels the spring sports season.

Michael Dolan, Design Editor

With Governor Parson’s announcement of in-person school closure for the remainder of the year, MSHSAA has announced the cancellation of all spring sports for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year.
Junior Ultimate Frisbee player, Leo Fiordelisi, is one of many spring athletes who is struck with sadness, knowing his season is canceled.
“I was looking forward to ultimate and playing with the seniors,” Fiordelisi said. “I wanted to bring state back to the palace.”
Water polo, along with all other spring sports, had its season canceled. Even after many early morning and late-night hours of practices none of it will be put to use.
“I was looking to make this the best season yet and make a run for state,” senior Justin Rothermich said. “I’m going to miss seeing my brothers on the team, at school, and after school at Bread Co. I miss going out to eat with my teammates more than anything.”
After making a state-run last year, and coming up short, the lacrosse teams had its eye on the title. But, this year it will not be possible.
“I’m going to miss playing with the seniors the most because I have been playing with them since I was a freshman,” junior Carter Edwards said. “I was hoping we could get one last shot at the title. I don’t think the season getting canceled is fair, but we can only control what we can. I feel bad for the seniors that don’t get to put the jersey on one last time.”