Raising awareness for immigration

School-wide assembly focuses on the impact immigration has on society

Connor Pohl

Gael Cosgaya ’21 speaks to the student body during the Hispanic Heritage Month assembly about the trials and tribulations of his family as they moved to the United States from Mexico.

Jack Venneman, Web Editor

The Hispanic Heritage Month assembly took place on Sept. 25 in the gym. Led by Director of Diversity & Inclusion Catalina Martinez, the assembly mainly focused on the real world issue of immigration.

“This is the time when we recognize the contributions of Hispanics and Latino-Americans,” Martinez said. “At this time more than ever, it is extremely important that we come together and learn about what some immigrants go through.”

Junior Gael Cosgaya came to the stage and spoke to the school about his immigration story. Cosgaya touched on the things he does in life to support his family.

“I help with my family a lot by working two jobs,” Cosgaya said. “We want to stay financially stable and remain in the states and earn a happy family life.”

We need to show our generosity when we remember our own past. We can use that to open ourselves to the people of today.

— Father Harrison S.J.

U.S. Legal Solutions Founder Kenneth Schmitt was the guest speaker at the assembly. Schmitt went in-depth with immigration and the hardships that immigrants face on a daily basis.

“I love what I do and I love the people that I work with,” Schmitt said. “I began to understand what the Jesuit social teachings were all about as I got to know my clients.”

Father Jeffrey Harrison, S.J. capped off the assembly with a few closing remarks and prayer.

“We need to show our generosity when we remember our own past,” Harrison said. “We can use that to open ourselves to the people of today.”