Printing for the school

Jacob Deighton

3D printing allows students to be creative and make things that are there own.

Mitch Martinez, Staff Writer

3D printing can be used for many different things around the school. Last year, the robotics club used the 3D printer to make parts for their robots. The 3D printer ran every day, whether it was printing things for the team or for students who were interested in printing things for class. Mr. Strawhun, the 3D Design and Printing teacher, suggested that, if he could get the school more 3D printers, the school should start a 3D printing and design class. This year, the school received 9 new printers.

“Last year, when I was a teacher here for the first time, I received approval to get the robotics team a better printer,” Strawhun said. “And last year it ran constantly.”

Different clubs and groups around the school have requested 3D designs and prints that the students will create. Strawhun received a request to design and create a mechanism for the doors in the old wing of the building. These mechanisms would allow students to come and go as they needed during class time, but still allow us to lock the doors in case of an intruder. The auction organizers asked students in Strawhun’s class to design a hook that hangs from the bleachers, which would be used to hang auction items from. Most recently, Mr. Strawhun tasked his students with designing and printing something related to the history of DeSmet to be displayed in the entryway to the library.

“We’d like to show off uses of new and innovative technology beyond the traditional classroom setting in a way that improves and emphasizes technology,” Strawhun said. “It’s a project-based way that gives authority and autonomy to the student that is still incorporating a lot of the lessons learned throughout the course that would make a great capstone style project that could also bring in this history element and some of the cool things we could do with the 3D printers.”

Students can use the 3D printers at any point, as long as they are in the robotics club, have taken Mr. Strawhun’s 3D design and 3D printing class, and have demonstrated that they are capable of using the printers. Senior Nick Engel, a student in Strawhun’s class is currently printing the pieces to a model car that he designed.

“I like that you can pretty much just print whatever you want and there’s more leeway than in other classes,” Engel said. “This class is a lot of fun, and I really enjoy it.”