The Mirror

Filed under Opinions, Showcase

Studying Tips

There is no certain way to study. Everyone has their own way of studying, find your own way.

Jacob Deighton

Jacob Deighton

Back to school means back to studying. Here are a few tips to help you focus harder when studying:

1. Ditch the ‘learning styles’ idea
You’ve probably been told since grade school that there is a specific way to study or learn information that is best for you, such as auditory, visual, or kinesthetic ‘learning styles.’ However, there is little to no evidence backing up this idea. Students should study through different lenses, using multiple ‘learning styles.’ If you discover that you retain more knowledge on a subject through listening to lectures, then that is how you should study for that subject, but that may not work for other subjects.

2. Study in chunks
Most people aren’t able to sit and focus on studying for long periods of time without finding themselves distracted by other things. Studies show that taking a 5 minute break every 25-30 minutes helps a student refocus on their work. Setting a timer helps keep track of the time.

3. Don’t mix study spaces with living spaces
When you enter your bedroom, your mind thinks about sleeping. When you enter your kitchen, your mind thinks about food. Because your mind associates certain actions with specific areas, it is a good idea to study in a location that you don’t use for anything else. Find a desk or table in a quiet area of your house and spend your time studying there.

4. Find a routine
Students study best when they have a set routine to follow. For example, try using a ‘study lamp.’ Put a lamp near where you study. Every time you sit down to study, turn the lamp on. This will help you enter a studying mindset. When you finish studying, or get up to take a break, remember to turn off the lamp. Keeping a routine such as this can increase your ability to focus on your work.

5. Learn to teach your material
Being able to recall information is always useful, but if you are able to teach it to another student, it shows that you fully understand the material. Try explaining or teaching new information to a sibling or a parent. If you are able to explain to them how something works, then you understood the material.