The Mirror

Upcoming Games

The Mirror

The Mirror

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Senior set to compete in esports state championship

Senior Caden Gulley will compete in the esports state championship in Super Smash Brothers Dec. 9 at State Technical College of Missouri in Linn, Missouri. He will be the first in school history to compete at state.
“I just wanted to do as good as I can,” Gulley said. “I know that I’ve gotten a lot better from last year and the year previous to that and I just want to do my best.”
Gully, a four-year esports team member, qualified for the top 32 state tournament by placing in the top 4 in a regional tournament with 256 people participating.
Esports coach and Director of Educational Technology Ryan Sextro, and new assistant esports coach and collegiate esports player ASC Joseph Merrick ‘17 helped lead Gully and mentor him on improving his current skills.
“[Mr. Merrick] was able to talk to me and show me what I’m doing wrong,” Gully said. “It was just a really good environment for me to get better at the game.”
Gulley doesn’t see esports as a career choice, but a way to meet people and earn potential scholarships.
Caden is a great learner,” Mr. Sextro said. “He was like a sponge. He absorbed everything that Mr. Merrick helped him work on. He’s in as good of a spot as you can be to make a decent run at state. It’s gonna be a very tough tournament.”

View Comments (4)