The Mirror

Upcoming Games

The Mirror

The Mirror

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Soccer opens season at home against Francis Howell

Will Ortbals
Senior midfielder Jake Panagos scores on a penalty kick against Webster Groves at the De Smet Jamboree Aug. 17. Panagos led the team in goals and assists last year.

The soccer Spartans come into the 2023 season following a loss in the district championship last year to CBC.

The team will be led by last year’s leading scorer midfielder Jake Panagos and three-year starting goalkeeper Kyle Crosswhite.

Along with them are 4th leading scorer last year Ray Cloud, and defenders Austin Werner, Louis Cernicek, and Gabe Sauer.

Even though there is a heavy returning senior core, there is encouraging youth. The Weber brothers, midfielders Landon and Gavin, join the team this year after starting their high school careers on MLS Next academy teams.

Head coach Josh Klein said he is aware of the depth of his team, but realizes that players need to understand their roles. He wants to put the best players in positions to shine which could mean new positions and new formations.

The coaching staff is a bit different with Assistant Coach John Reyes departing from the team this summer. John Roy and Ryan Hodge have stepped up their roles on the staff and will assist Coach Klein this year.

CBC, Chaminade, and Lafayette occupy the district for the Spartans this year.

The soccer Spartans open the season at home Aug. 26 against Francis Howell at 10 am.