De Smet goes country for this year’s auction

Henry Anyimadu

This Shih Poo puppy has been prancing around school for weeks and is ready to go to her forever home. The cross between a Shih Tzu and Toy Poodle will be auctions off live during the Boots & Bow Ties auction March 5.

Connor Gunn, Multimedia Specialist

The De Smet Jesuit Advancement Team with support from the Mothers’ Club, Fathers’ Club, students, and alumni will host the Boots and Bow Ties Auction March 5. The auction will be held at 6 PM in the school gymnasium.

The Boots and Bow Ties auction will offer a wide variety of biddings. There will be both a silent and live auction. The auction will offer trips, sporting events, experiences, and unique items such as the annual auction puppy.

The De Smet Advancement Team has already raised $2.4 million. They hope to exceed $3 million, the most in De Smet’s 54-year history.

“The idea of community gathering and community commitment, it’s a much needed social event,” Director of Development Jeff Cernicek ’92 said. “It’s a way for our community to celebrate De Smet Jesuit.”

All proceeds from the auction will go to the Spartan Fund. The Spartan Fund directly impacts students. It allows for students to get the most out of their education and have the best possible Catholic high school experience.

“The Spartan Fund meets the most pressing needs of the school, whether that be an addition to the school, upgrades in classrooms, scholarships, and financial aid,” Director of Special Events, Becky Lane said. “The Spartan Fund also benefits all students in the school, from athletic programs to musical programs to all clubs and activities.”