Remote learning will eliminate snow days

With new technology on the rise, snow days could be a thing of the past

Kevin Berns

A group of runners led by Assistant Varisty Track Coach teacher Adam Boehm, run on a snowy day.

Jack Venneman, Web Editor

You flush ice cubes down the toilet, put a spoon under your pillow, and keep your fingers crossed. You wait anxiously for the two words that every student loves to hear, “snow day!”

Unfortunately, students may not be hearing those words very often anymore.

With new remote learning procedures on the rise at every school in America, every student’s favorite day, a snow day, may be in jeopardy.

Everyone has had those thoughts about how the coronavirus will impact norms in society that have existed for the longest time. Things like going to a sporting event, a concert, mass, and even sitting in rush-hour traffic have changed over the last few months, and snow days could very well be added to the list.

Whether it’s through Zoom or Microsoft Teams, schools have adopted a new norm to get students information for classes in a way that is good enough for them to perform well in school. In both platforms, the ‘screen sharing’ tool is available and when used, provides the teacher’s screen that they can utilize to make for an online lecture that is understandable by students and is accessible even after the class is over.

It really depends on the school on how they would like to deal with snow days. But, based on how remote learning has been going so far, schools may not see a reason why not to have classes during inclement weather conditions.

Technology has been improving productively over the past decade and while that is amazing to see, one of its downsides is taking away students across the country’s beloved snow days.