Senior wins soccer co-player of the year

Kevin Berns

Senior Henry Lawlor takes on two Lee’s Summit defenders during the MSHSAA Class 4 Soccer State Championship at Soccer Park.

Bailey Mathews, Contributing Writer

After Leading the Spartans to their sixth State Championship, senior midfielder Henry Lawlor is the Class 4A Soccer Co-Player of the Year.

“Well I wasn’t even really expecting it, so it was a cool surprise,” Lawlor said. “But none of it would have been possible without my teammates.”
Along with Winning Co-Player of the Year, Lawlor also was named a United Soccer Coaches Association All-American this season, De Smet’s second in the last two years and the 13th all time.

“It was a proud moment as a coach because he’s come a long way since his freshman year so I’m very very impressed that he put together the senior season that he did,” head soccer coach Josh Klein said. “His energy, he was a very technical player, he could decide an outcome of a game because he is a very contagious player I mean how he decides to play and the rest of the team played very similar.”

During his senior season Lawlor scored 14 goals on 50 shots, had five assists, 33 total points, three game winning goals, and only three yellow cards.

“I think I won it because of the leadership I showed on a state championship and got noticed,” Lawlor said. “I put a lot of hard work during the off-season and it was good to see all that pay off.”