Meet the new teachers William Manaker, SJ; John Russell; Even Jenkins; George Howe. (Kevin Berns)
Meet the new teachers William Manaker, SJ; John Russell; Even Jenkins; George Howe.

Kevin Berns

Meet the New Teachers

The newspaper staff sat down with the new faculty and got to know a bit about each of them.

August 21, 2019

William Manaker, S.J. – English and Campus Ministry

Where are you from and what were you doing before coming to De Smet?

For the past three years I was in Chicago studying Philosophy, Theology and especially English. I’ve been working on a masters degree in English and I’ve been in the Jesuits for five years.

Q: For your last ever meal, what would you be eating?
A: I would want to have a multi-course Italian Meal. Starting with some great cheese and appetizers like salami, and then some pasta. Then I would probably follow that up with some lamb. Then I would top it off with some gelato.

Q: Favorite Movie?
A: My favorite movie from when I was a kid is certainly Star Wars: A New Hope.

Q: What are some interesting hobbies that you have?
A: I play the Violin so I like to do a little bit of classic and some Irish fiddle music. I also love to run.

Q: If you could take the students at De Smet anywhere in the world on a field trip, where would you take them?
A: I would probably want to go to Rome because I studied there when I was in college and had just a great experience. You can see so much art and culture that’s connected to faith. The church is seen in a very different way and you can actually visit the tombs of the martyrs. They have churches dedicated to early martyrs like St. Stephen.

Q: What are your must-have smartphone apps
A: Must have smartphone apps would be Google Chrome. I’m not a huge safari person. I would also say Ibreviary. There’s a bible app you can get the bible in a gazillion different languages which is pretty cool to me.

Q: What is your biggest fear?
A: Most often the thing that I’m afraid of is the unknown. Whether it be the unknown thing that’s going to happen next week, or the unknown reaction of what this person will say.

John Russell – Math

I’m from Kansas City and I went to Rockhurst High School in Kansas City and was in the graduating class of 2015. Then, I went on to Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio and I graduated there in May. I’m here doing my ASC year and I joined this program right out of college and I was assigned to De Smet.

A: I would definitely have spaghetti and meatballs made by my mom with an iced tea. Sweetened of course. That’s my last meal for sure.

Q: Favorite Movie?
A: I’m big into like Sci-Fi movies. My favorite movie is what I think to be Matthew McConaughey’s best and that is Interstellar. It’s a long movie but definitely worth it. It is a space sort of thing. It’s definitely fiction, but it is just a fantastic Matthew McConaughey movie with all his looks and everything.

Q: Weird Hobbies or things you have done?
A: I was a mascot for Xavier in college and it was a fantastic experience. Being out on the basketball court for the games amazing. I’m also a big golfer, I love playing golf. Since it’s my first time being in St. Louis, I want to experience different courses and I am always looking forward to enjoying time with my brothers while I’m here.

Q: How did you spend your summer break?
A: Once graduation ended, I went home for the summer and umpired some baseball. That’s kinda my summer job pretty much. I also went on a few trips with my family. I really like spending some time at home.

A: I would probably take them to Kansas City. St. Louis doesn’t like Kansas City and vice versa. I would take them on a nice tour of Kansas City. I would do it so Kansas City and St. Louis can become friends.

Q: What are your must-have smartphone apps?
A: Probably YouTube. I’m a big YouTube fan. I love watching some good YouTube videos. I also like the ESPN app because I enjoy watching sports. I’m a big fan of football coming up this fall. Really those two are must-haves.

Evan Jenkins – Science and FRC Robotics

Where are you from and what were you doing before coming back to De Smet?

I graduated from De Smet in the class of 2013. I went to Mizzouand got a degree in mechanical engineering. Then I did Alum service core 2 years ago at Regis Jesuit High School in Denver, and this past year I taught at Jesuit Tampa and now I’m back at De Smet.

A: I like to run, bike, and swim. I am also really into lots of different music genres. Rock is definitely my favorite.

A: First app would be Twitter. I am a firm believer in Twitter. Second would be Shazam. I’m always listening to music so if there’s a song I don’t know I gotta have it. Maps is also one I must have. You don’t think about it but you use maps more than anything.

A: With teaching physics it would be cool to go to a NASA Spaceship launch down in Florida or Texas. Those would be cool.

Q: If you couldn’t be a teacher, what would you see yourself doing?
A: I guess maybe using my engineering degree in a non-teaching way. Something that has to do with bikes. Designing bikes or making bikes would be something I’d do.

Q: What is your biggest fear?
A: Losing my legs. It would suck. I literally wouldn’t be able to run, bike or do any of the things I love to do.

A: I would get a Smoothie King smoothie and a bowl from Chipotle and that would be it.

George Howe – English

I just graduated from Macalester College. It’s a small school in Minnesota and I majored in English Lit. I Grew up in St. Louis, and I am from south city. And I went to another Jesuit School that will remain nameless (SLUH).

Q: For your last meal ever, what would you be eating?
A: I would have definitely something made by my mom, she’s a really good cook. Probably her spaghetti and meatballs, It’s pretty killer.

Q: Favorite Movie?
A: I kind of change I go back and forth, but I think it’s probably Rushmore by Wes Anderson it’s an early movie of his but its really good. Ironically, it’s about high school.

Q: Weird hobbies?
A: I pole vaulted in college. To me, it’s more a sport than it is a hobby. It’s weird enough that it’s kinda interesting.

A: I’m a minimalist so I don’t have a ton of apps on my phone but if I had to pick one it would probably be the Nike running app.

A: I thought about being a lawyer. My dad used to be a lawyer so he would always tell these crazy cool stories about court and stuff. I always thought it was really cool.

Q: Biggest fear?
A: My biggest fear is that I am really claustrophobic. Some people were in St. Louis from out of town and they really wanted to go to the City Museum. So we went there and I haven’t been there since I was a little kid because I freaked out and thought I was gonna get stuck.

The Mirror • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Mirror Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *