What happens during Mission Week

February 14, 2019

Mission Week 2019 kicks off Tuesday, Feb 19. The point of Mission Week is to use dress down days and fun events to raise money to help benefit different people in need. This years theme is: “Change Begins Within.”

“There’s a lot of different ways we can fight injustice,” Director of Student Activities Michael Russo said. “It’s not just about raising the money, we want to develop men that will hopefully go out and be leaders in the world with their compassion and actions.”

Everyone year Mission Week gives to different charities, this year the charities of choice are:

Kingdom House Academy: Helps the economically disadvantaged achieve economic independence, self-sufficiency, and a path out of poverty.

Leukemia and Lymphoma Society: LLS is at the forefront of the fight to cure cancer. Compared to other blood cancer nonprofits, LLS is the largest funder of cutting-edge research to advance cures.

Joshua Chamberlain Society (JCS): The Joshua Chamberlain Society’s mission consists of providing long term support for Fallen and Wounded Military Heroes.

Living Water International: Living Water International exists to demonstrate the love of God by helping communities acquire desperately needed clean water.

“Although we can’t stop going to classes to travel to Africa and help villagers or sit beside with a cancer patient we can do some things,” Russo said. “So what we do is take some time kind of remind guys that there are people out there in need of our help.”

There are many ways to get involved. Stugo will be hosting a shinny hockey tournament, 3v3 basketball tournament, several video game tournaments, and several other games. They will also be selling specialty lunches that include (Raising Cane’s, Papa Johns, and Chik-Fil-a).

“I’m excited for the big events,” Russo said. “I encourage students to come watch the shinny finals or the alumni basketball game. I’m just most excited to be able to walk into the gym and just see 300 people.”

The Mirror • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Mirror Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *