Spartalympics Begins New De Smet Tradition

New program aims to create greater sense of community at De Smet Jesuit.

Conrad Dorn

Students play dodgeball during the Spartanfest assembly.

Stephen Baxendale, managing editor

Beginning this year, students will be competing for the Ignatius Cup in Spartalympics: a program meant to build community, encourage individual student participation in events outside of school and connect students to their Jesuit heritage.

Each homeroom is assigned to one of six Jesuit houses – Ricci, Brebeuf, Gonzaga, Arrupe, Xavier, and Kavanaugh – and students can earn points for their house  through involvement in the De Smet community. Scanners will add points at sports games, for club participation, or for doing well academically. The house with the most points at the end of the year will win its name on the Ignatius Cup.

Specific events between houses will be hosted once the gym is completed.

While the Ignatius Cup is the ultimate prize, students will be able to win individual prizes in a raffle during the first three quarters. With three different raffle groups – Gold, Silver and Bronze – students will have the opportunity to win prizes such as tickets to sports games or gift cards, and students with the highest number of points will earn a free parking pass.

“It gives the students a reason to participate in student life,” Student Government President Drew Boland said. “Now students have a reason to want to go games and be in clubs. It kind of incentivizes being a part of De Smet.”

Beyond scoring points, Spartalympics pushes students to learn more about their Jesuit representative for their house. To achieve their goal, student government is organizing a homeroom competition to design a shield based on their house Jesuit.  Later, they will revolve morning prayers around the different missionaries to help students understand the Jesuits’ backgrounds.

“It kind of challenges us to learn more about the Jesuit and his teachings.  It’s a good way to gain a new role model,” Boland said.

To promote Spartalympics throughout the year, student government will make announcements for events that will award points. If scanners are not there, a student can take a picture of himself attending the event and bring it to student government.

“We want people to be proud to be going to De Smet. We want people to feel like they belong. Among other goals, something like this is aimed at trying to do those things,” Director of Student Activities Mr. Anthony Plein said.

At the end of the day, the goal for Spartalympics is to make this a lasting program, not just a one year competition.

Boland wants to excite students through the program.

“That students at the end of the year say that we can’t wait for next year. Guys can come back and visit De Smet and say they were in Xavier’s house. That it defines De Smet and makes it a part of student life,” he said.