Opinion: All students should attend Kairos, here is why

Michael Callahan

Father Burshek preaches to the juniors on their Kairos retreat.

De Smet students starting their junior year have multiple opportunities to go on the Kairos retreat to find out what it is all about. Students attend this retreat to strengthen their relationship with God and their peers.

All students whether junior or senior year should attend Kairos.

When on Kairos, students are away from school and technology, and are with one another. It is not often that students get to forgot about their real world issues and take time to relax. My experience was excellent, I realized that I do not need technology and it was nice to just focus on yourself, friends, and religion.

There is a lot of prayer time on Kairos. In the normal school year students have a lot of opportunity for prayer, but most do not take advantage of that time. Personally, while on Kairos, my prayer life increased, helping me understand where I am in my faith. That is something that all students must know before heading off to college.

Students might feel that it is not necessary to attend Kairos. Whether your relationship with God is at its best or worst, it is a must attend retreat. While I am unable to go into detail on what is done on Kairos, it is something you have to experience yourself to understand how important it is.

All students should attend Kairos, there is no excuse with multiple dates to attend either junior or senior year. The experience is a one of a kind opportunity to strengthen your relationship with the people around you.