As mission week starts events and dress down days will help benefit different people in need. (Colin Donovan)
As mission week starts events and dress down days will help benefit different people in need.

Colin Donovan

Mission Week: A New Hope

February 20, 2018

Throughout this week this page will be updated with the different events going on during the week as well as the event winners.

Mission week money: Where is it going?

Mission Week always creates an atmosphere in the halls unlike any other week of the year. Students find events and competitions to play in, which they have to pay money to participate in. With all of the money accumulated over the long week, we have to ask ourselves, “Where is the money going and who is it helping?”

In previous years, grade levels have competed for who can raise the most money for their assigned charity. However, this year Stugo has decided to make a change in which the final accumulation of money will be divided evenly and given to each of the four sponsored charities.

The four charities are:

The Joshua Chamberlain Society. They are an organization who supports war veterans who have been injured to the point where they have trouble supporting their families or themselves.

The United Service Organizations which is another organization that supports military veterans and lets them know that they have not been forgotten.

The Birthright Organization which helps women who have had unplanned pregnancies. This organization gives women the opportunity to sit down with a counselor and be talked through the possibilities of what to do with the child.

Catholic Charities USA “Caritas de Puerto Rico” is an organization that supports the families and civilians of the catastrophic hurricane that hit Puerto Rico in October of 2017.

Tuesday: Kickoff Assembly

Wednesday: Bubble soccer, Video Games

Colin Donovan

President of the Joshua Chamberlain Society, Matt Cutler speaks to the student body about who they are benefiting.

Wednesday: Bubble soccer, Video Games

Bubble soccer

Colin Donovan

Student player checks his opponent to get him away from the ball.

Bubble soccer

Video Games

Colin Donovan

Two teams play NHL battling for the win to move on in the tournament.

Video Games

Thursday: Shinny Hockey, Basketball, Ping Pong

Ping Pong

Colin Donovan

Senior Christian Chiapel puts a massive spin on the ball to make the return more difficult.

Ping Pong

Shinny Hockey

Colin Donovan

Senior Will Oliver whacks the shinny ball as hard as he can, hoping to score a goal.

Shinny Hockey

Broken sticks and torn up knees are all part of the Mission Week Shinny Hockey tournament. This years championship belongs to the seniors, Brad Cunningham, Kenny Gibson, Hunter Schoenig, Grant Hesker, and Kameron Ziercher.

The Seniors won the final 2-0 with goals from Schoenig and Ziercher. Cunningham was in net and completed the shut out to win it.

“It felt excellent, amazing to win,” Schoenig said. “Four years at De Smet and not winning a single Mission Week tournament it just feels good to win.”

Their team took the lead after a controversial goal was called a good goal. Then minutes later Schoenig shot the ball and cemented a 2-0 lead.

“My adrenaline was pumping and my heart was racing,” Schoenig said. “I knew I had to put my body on the line for my team and my school.”

Shinny Hockey at De Smet is one of the most popular Mission Week activities to partake in and to spectate.

“I think it’s a good mix of strength and skill,” Schoenig said. “Kam and I are known for our strength so we wanted only one of us out there at the same time, so we could have a skill player like Grant of Kenny out there. We wanted to keep it exciting.”

Friday: 3 V 3 Basketball

Colin Donovan

Student goes up for the layup while trying to draw the foul.

Friday: 3 V 3 Basketball

Junior Colin Goodwin, who teamed up with freshmen Rico Barfield and Jeremiah Walker and Junior Grant Western, won the championship game.

It came down to the last couple minutes to find a champion in the 3 on 3 tournament, but then Grant Western took over. The junior knocked down four straight three pointers to give his squad the championship.

“I think our chemistry made us better than other teams because all four of us play for the school and know each other’s strengths and weaknesses,” Goodwin said, “Sure, we all do play on varsity, but there was some tough competition along the way, it definitely wasn’t an easy road to the championship.”

One of the highlights of this tournament was when Barfield threw a between the legs alley oop to Goodwin in round one of the tournament. At that moment, the gym went crazy, kids were in shock with what they saw.

“It was an exciting time playing with each other and throwing oops to each other and taking the dub,” Goodwin said. “We all love playing with each other and it feels amazing when we don’t have to worry about messing up and just play to have fun. Because of playing with my brothers, it made winning this whole thing that much better.”

The Mirror • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Mirror Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *