Students need to value their classes

Darrian Sandoz

This artistic drawing shows that students should value their classes because they paid for the books in it

Would you pay $12 to sleep through an English class or play games during a history lecture? With De Smet’s tuition at $14,660 for the 2015-2016 year, that is roughly the amount students will pay for each class they attend. Are they making the most out the 40 minutes they spend in each period of the day, or rather neglecting how much their education is worth?

High schoolers are particularly picky about how they spend their money, so imagine handing a teacher $12 after walking into a class. If that were the case, students would be more likely to prioritize getting their money’s worth out of every minute they spend at school. All students should do that in the first place, regardless of how much they pay to go to school. Strangely, those paying large tuitions for their education sometimes fail to value the time they spend at school more often than those in the public school system.

By not paying attention in class, students in private schools are missing out on the unique benefits that their schools offer. As a college preparatory school, De Smet teaches skills in the classroom that students will find advantageous in the future, especially in college. Unfortunately, a lack of attention sometimes causes students to miss out.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Students can neglect their education in the public school system, free of charge. In private schools, making every dollar count is the responsibility of the student. Unfortunately, not all students handle that responsibility well. They should be encouraged to challenge themselves to the best of their abilities and make every minute count. All schools offer a myriad of low level and blow off classes. Students shouldn’t take the easy way out with their education, but should take the classes that will benefit them most.

It is a challenge for all students to spend their time in school wisely. Classes can be dull, and busy work isn’t always entertaining.  Every student at one time or another has failed to get the most out of his education, but those in private schools are literally paying the price by doing so.