Against high school dating

Jacob Young, Social Media Editor

You love them, you love them not. Many high school boys want a girlfriend and think it would be fun, but in reality, it is just not worth it.Having a relationship demands attention. No one wants their relationship to fail, so being attentive to one’s girlfriend eventually takes priority. Once that happens, guys lose focus of their school work and free time. Relationships take a toll on high school boys. On average, students in relationships have .4 lower GPA’s, which can drastically affect the college admissions decision. If high school girlfriends could potentially ruin future plans or dreams, it’s best to avoid them.

According to a stage of life student poll, 23.3% of males said having a girlfriend negatively impacted their relationships with other guys. High school is about building relationships. When high school males consume their time with a girl, they are missing out on those special memories and could even be putting their relationships with other people on the line because, again, the girlfriend is a priority.

People who think high school guys should have girlfriends will say having one will help social skills and set a person up for healthier relationships in the future. That’s not true. 70% of boys text their girlfriend instead of talking on the phone or in person. On top of that, 12% of others spend more time chatting on social media than in person; all of this according to stageoflife.com student poll.

High School boys should not have relationships because that kind of relationship with a girl during the most important time of their life just isn’t worth it.