Hockey to play for Jesuit Cup

Nick Plassmeyer

Senior defenseman Michael Arens fights for the puck during the team’s last match-up with SLUH,

Alex Kramer, Sports Editor

Coming back for a new semester and new year, many are focusing on a fresh start. That includes the hockey team, who have their sights set on the Jesuit Cup.

The Jesuit Cup is a trophy that the Spartans and SLUH Jr. Billikens fight for every second faceoff of the season. Last season, the Spartans lost the cup in a nail-biting 4-3 battle after previously keeping it from SLUH for two straight seasons.

“This game means just as much as a playoff game,” senior defenseman Mike Joyce said. “But it might even mean more because this has been a rivalry game since I don’t even know when.”

This game could even be a late playoff matchup preview, with SLUH currently being the best team in the Municipal Conference and all of Mid-States.

“It’s a big game and we know what we have to get done,” senior defenseman Michael Arens said. “We know what we need to do to get into the playoffs.”

Usually, the team makes the playoffs in a top four seeded spot. However, there’s more to just making it into the extended season. The team must also keep a streak when entering the postseason.

“After J-Cup, it’s all hands on deck, you go to go,” senior forward Derek Northrop said. “If you’re not getting on a streak there, you have to be hot going into the playoffs and that’s what we need here. We need a big win.”

The puck drops tonight at 9:45 p.m. at Affton Ice Rink.