Painting A Legacy

Senior Creates Mural To Commemorate Art Career

Alex Trunko paints a mural which will be displayed in the new wing of the first floor.
David Goodwillie

A mural can depict many things, and senior Alex Trunko hopes to inspire new and current students through his painting.
“It is really exciting to have my own mural,” Trunko said. “My inspiration for starting the mural is my De Smet experience as a whole. That is where I got a lot of my ideas.”
Trunko is painting a mural on the first floor new wing and it is planned to be finished by the end of the year.
The mural will be a picture of a student walking into a painting and taking a risk. Trunko wants the mural to stand for something more and inspire students.
“It is supposed to be symbolic of a student’s journey through high school,” Trunko said. “The mural will stand as a message to all students to set an example for our journey through high school and encourage people to take risks.”
The mural will showcase the culmination of four years in the art department.
“It will showcase his level quality and type of projects that these students do,” art teacher Laurie Kohler said. “He has had a real world presence.”
Trunko had to propose the budget and idea for the mural to the administrators, teachers, and the president to get his mural approved.
Trunko started the design at the beginning of the year. He said he is looking forward to its completion to top off his high school career.
“I will be able to make my mark on the school,” Trunko said, “with something that will stay here even after I graduate.”