De Smet hosts Taiwanese Exchange Students

Adam Craig

The six Taiwanese exchange students pose with some of their hosts.

Ray Stewart, Managing Editor

In an effort to experience American culture, seven Taiwanese exchange students are visiting De Smet from Jan. 20 till Feb. 7. This is the third consecutive year, in which De Smet has participated in the exchange program.

“A lot of the foreign exchange programs get into the curriculum,” Diversity Director Armando Gilkes said.  “But here it’s to become exposed to American culture and what it’s like in an American school; it’s more of an experiential thing than an academic thing.”

Besides sitting in on classes at De Smet, the exchange students will tour Washington University, visit the Science Center, and take a calligraphy course at St. Louis Priory. The students will not be missing class while America due to their school being on winter break.

“I was excited to come to here [America]. Usually I would stay home and do nothing,” exchange student Ricky Lin said. “It’s good to come out and see new things.”

Host families are not paid nor hand selected to participate. Gilkes worked alongside Chinese instructor Christine Tseng to coordinate homes for all of the students.

“They [host families] are more than willing to do whatever is needed to make their exchange student comfortable,” Gilkes said. “That speaks volumes about De Smet [students] with great parents who give a lot of themselves and their time and resources to help the school.”

**additional reporting from Doug Dolan