New Planners Bad for Business

Stephen Baxendale, Editor-in-Chief

Organization is key. It is one of the most vital parts of succeeding in high school, and many who are unable to get organized, cannot meet the workload that De Smet brings, and must transfer. The new planners and the plan to eventually phase out planners altogether will hurt students in the long run.

Previously, Dr, Greg Densberger created the planners. But this year with the influx of new teachers, the planner was created as an afterthought amidst the busy schedule.

Planners are an easily accessible way to find the schedule of the day without having to go through outlook. Computers have to be charged. Little paper books do not.

The planner’s new design, showing only one day per page, is a large departure from years’ past, which showed the schedule for the entirety of the week. Limiting visibility into what the future of the week holds, preventing possible foresight into events later in the week like masses or assemblies.

However, the extra space for writing assignments is helpful, as it helps detail lengthier and more complicated assignments with ease.

One of the things that allowed the previous planners to be a popular tool among students is the big, easily distinguishable periods marking each time. Each page looks almost identical to the last, making it difficult to distinguish times at a glance.  It only takes a few more seconds to examine the page, but it causes students, who are becoming increasingly interested in timeliness are avoiding doing this simple action.

But the scariest thought of all is that De Smet is trying to phase out the planners completely. Planners are an easily accessible way to find the schedule of the day without having to go through outlook. Computers have to be charged. Little paper books do not.

There is talk of keeping planners available and making them optional to students. Hopefully the administration can see the planner’s value to the De Smet community and the strong organization skills that it helps build.