“Beauty Behind the Madness” Review

Ray Stewart, Managing Editor

“And I’ve got something I’ve been trying to let go of, pulling me back every time,” The Weeknd sings on “Dark Times,” a revealing highlight on his second album. “Beauty Behind the Madness” is different from anything fans ever heard from Abel Tesfaye. Watching him dominate the VMA’s with pop-smash “Can’t Feel My Face” in the same year the sultry “Earned It” came out has fans wondering what’s next from the Toronto native.
His sophomore album pivots from his traditional dark, monotone sound. The album feels as if The Weeknd is going through the stage in his career where he reaches for commercial success. Similar to what Nicki Minaj did with her sophomore album, “Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded,” he explores with production and crosses genres to create a masterpiece.
Fans must appreciate his leap of faith because “Beauty Behind the Madness” sold 412,000 copies in its first week, 326,000 of those being physical album sales. The Weeknd’s debut is the second largest debut this year. He sits behind his mentor Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”, which sold 535,000 copies in it’s first week.
Opening with the triumph “Real Life” and finishing with the vocal heavy ballad “Angel,” the track list shows the emotional and mental rollercoaster fans have come to expect from Tesfaye. Every song has a hidden message that virtually anyone can relate to. Unlike on his debut album “Kiss Land,” Mr. XO delivers songs that are so personal and honest they feel like pieces of advice. Not the advice you get from a parent or friend, these lyrics speak directly to fans as if they are being told by an older version of themselves.
Tesafaye uniquely paints a picture of the madness in his mind with almost no help. The 14-track album only has three features from British singer-songwriter Labrinth, the soulful Lana Del Rey and the always talented Ed Sheeran. These artists assisted The Weeknd on one of the best albums of the year.
It is rare for an artist to put out an album that can be played straight through. “Beauty Behind the Madness” flows so well it was hard for me to differentiate when the album was restarting. Although every song is a potential hit, I have ranked my favorite songs from the album below. Five out of five stars.

1. Dark Times featuring Ed Sheeran
2. Real Life
3. Can’t Feel My Face
4. Tell Your Friends (produced by Kanye West)
5. Prisoner featuring Lana Del Ray
6. Losers featuring Labrinth
7. Angel
8. The Hills
9. Often
10. Earned It
11. In the Night
12. Acquainted
13. Shameless
14. As You Are