The Mirror

Upcoming Games

The Mirror

The Mirror

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

NFL is losing focus with Swiftmania

Staff creation
Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift are redefining the relationship between the NFL and pop culture. But is that a good thing?

Is this whole Swift thing real? I have not once opened a social media app and not seen something about Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift’s supposed “relationship.” The NFL is loving life right now, I mean how couldn’t they? The most famous pop star in the world is dating one of the most famous players in the NFL, coming off a Super Bowl title last year. This means three things: money, money, and money. 

After this rumor came out about a month ago, Travis Kelce’s jersey sales went up 400%! 

Even ticket sales are going up. StubHub representatives have announced they’ve seen a 3x increase in the 24 hours before each Chiefs home game. The numbers are insane and the NFL is hoping for one thing: this relationship continues because if it does, the NFL will keep gettin’ richer. 

Although this is cool in some way, there is a completely different war on social media. There are two sides to this story: the “Swifties” and the haters. Both are going crazy right now, probably as we speak. Some people see this as a huge marketing trend, but not the Swifties. They are loving it a little too much. 

Kelce’s relationship is taking the spotlight off the actual sport and football now revolves around Taylor Swift. The NFL needs to spend less time worrying about making money off this and start making more football-related content. The fans follow the NFL because they want to see football, not Taylor Swift getting out of a car and walking inside a stadium, just like the other 75,000 fans do every Sunday. It’s plain and simple, the fans are tired of the constant videos and replays of Taylor Swift cheering just like every other fan on NFL gameday.