STUCO to host blood drive Thursday

Carrie Becher

A student prepares to give blood during the blood drive in Spartan Hall last spring. The event will move back to the gym this year.

The Student Council will host a blood drive on Thursday, Nov. 4 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the gym with the goal of collecting 50 units of blood, allowing students to help save lives. 

“Hospitals and organizations are always in need of blood,” Director of Student Activities Michael Russo said. “I think the good that we can do by donating our blood, the lives we can save, it’s a good thing.”

Students who are interested in donating blood will miss about 45 minutes of class and receive a $5 Amazon gift card. Students who are 16 years old must have parental consent, but anyone who is 17 or older can donate on their own.

“I think it’s a great way to give back to the community,” junior and STUCO representative Luke Burns said. “It’s extremely important to help the thousands of people that need blood every day.”

STUCO has sent students a Microsoft Form via email from Mr. Russo to sign up where they can choose the period to miss that works best for them. Students can expect to receive a time slot after signing up and will have to bring a photo ID. Donors will be asked some basic medical questions from masked and socially distant Mercy hospital nurses and technicians. They will have a finger pricked for iron testing followed by the donation. One pint of blood that is donated can help save three lives. 

“It’s a very safe experience and it hurts incredibly less than [people think],” Mr. Russo said. “These nurses, all they do is go to school for blood drives and are very good about dealing with younger kids [and] nervous guys.

The Blood Drive has been a tradition for over 30 years and was affected last year because of the pandemic. Last year, the drive was held in Spartan Hall and was not as big as in years past.

“I’m excited to do this event, probably a little bit more like the way we used to, a tradition of saving lives and thinking about others,” Mr. Russo said. “It’s De Smet turning back to its roots.”