Student council holds blood drive

All the info about this year's Winter Blood Drive

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student council holds blood drive

Ben Harig '20 gives blood during last year's blood drive.

Carrie Becher

Carrie Becher

Carrie Becher

Bailey Mathews, Contributing Writer

Student Council with assistance from Mercy Hospital, will hold a blood drive on Nov. 8, in the gym. The plan is to get around 50-60 donors, to save lives, and get some lifelong donors in the process.

“I think we want to allow our students to experience donating blood,” Student Activities Director Michael Russo said. “Because it’s a very good and noble thing to do.”

There are not many things that could prevent students from donating blood. The main two are if a student has been out of the country in the past few months or if they are on certain kinds of medication. But this will be talked about beforehand by nurses and there is information online so students can do their own research. Students are able to donate on their own if they are 17 and with parent’s consent if they are 16. Students 15 and younger are not allowed to donate.

“It’s a pretty calming environment surprisingly,” STUCO member Pete Brueggestrass said. “It’s cool knowing that one person’s blood can save multiple lives.”

If students would like to sign up, they can do so in the hall outside the lunchroom through Wednesday. Nurses will be there to answer any questions that students may have. STUCO likes to work alongside Mercy to make sure that it stays in the local community.

“I know I often get a sort of natural high after I donate blood,” Russo said. “I feel like I’ve done something good that day.”