Water bottles needed for Earth Day display

Brendan Johnson

Sophomore Joel Roth puts bottles from room 210 into the Sustainability Committee’s bottle collection bag.

Chris Bateman, Staff Writer

Faculty members of the Sustainability Committee, with the help of the sophomore class, are collecting plastic bottles this week to help the environment at school. They are collecting bottles to create a display that is intended to encourage students to go the more reusable route.

“The group has been hoping to put together a visual for quite some time now,” committee member Madeline Powers said. “We are finally finding a good time to make it happen.”

The sophomores will collect the bottles each day this week by putting bags in each room and they may be helping with the display as well. They are hoping to create a display in Emerson lobby or somewhere really visible sometime during Earth Day.

“We are trying to help students see clearly what kind of waste we produce by drinking bottled water,” Powers said. “We are hoping that we can convince people to move away from disposable water bottles and start using reusable bottles, especially now that we have the filling stations.”

The committee is piggy-backing off of the video that some juniors sent out for advisory on World Water Day.

“Awareness is the key right now,” Powers said. “Water is a precious resource but it has always been so readily available to us Americans that we forget that.”

Science teacher Dr.Mariette Baxendale thought this was the right time to do it because it ties in with the juniors and World Water Day.

“There isn’t much recycling in our city, “ Baxendale said. “In areas like California there are blue cans everywhere but there isn’t much here so we need to have more awareness toward recycling especially bottles.”