Generations of Spartans

Artist rendition of the third floor stairwell.

Nick Einig, Staff Writer

To give students a glimpse into the past, senior Harrison Sevier is planning an art project to display the generations of Spartans throughout the years.

Sevier wants his creation to emphasize school spirit. He remembers walking around the third floor of Busch Stadium, he saw all of the different logos from all the different teams. The logos inspired Generation of Spartans.

“I was here for two different heads,“ Sevier said. “I thought it was interesting to find out all the different heads.”

The project is still in the planning stages. The senior art class, made up of Harrison Sevier, Kenneth Reller and Max Friesen, has the design laid out. The art department is paying for the total cost of the project, which will be about two hundred and sixty dollars.

“It’s gonna be a collaborative project,” Sevier said. “It’s the whole senior art class working on it, not just myself.”

They have already started planning out where they are going to put the spartan heads, and have a design ready to base their painting off of. The heads should be in the first staircase by the Emerson Lobby. The whole project should be done in the next two months.

“I just want them to see the different Spartan heads,” Sevier said. “And see the transition throughout the time of De Smet”.

Sevier is hoping to leave a legacy before he leaves. The art class does not even want future students knowing that they were the ones who put the work in for the project. They are doing it for themselves so that when they come back to visit, they will be the only ones that know that they painted it.

“We want people to look back and see the history of De Smet,” said Sevier. “I don’t think there is even going to be a plaque that says we painted it, but we just want to leave a mark on the school.”