Club Penguin waddles offline

March 30, 2017

Club Penguin closed its doors March 30 at 12:01 a.m., 11 years after its launch in 2005.

After countless igloo parties, sled races and walks with pet puffles, it is time to say goodbye.

On March 30 at 12:01 a.m., developers pulled the plug on Club Penguin to make way for their new mobile experience, Club Penguin Island.

The decision came 11 years after the original game first opened its doors to the public in 2005. Ever since then, kids have been waddling around and making new friends on the virtual island as penguins. Club Penguin gave them the freedom to play, purchase and decorate whatever and however they wanted.

“It was my first real video game,” senior Joey Reed said. “I remember I would come home every day after school and log on just to take a break from school, homework and chores.”

Club Penguin hit its peak in 2010 and has been declining ever since. Disney made the game’s final days official earlier this year when they announced that servers would shut down March 29.

“When I logged on, all of the memories came rushing back,” Karr said. “Even as a high schooler, it still great to have that escape for just a few minutes and be a kid again.”

The franchise is now hoping that their subscription-based mobile game, Club Penguin Island, will continue the original game’s community and legacy.

“We are deeply grateful for your time and enthusiasm since the beginning, and we’d like to thank each and every one of you in the Club Penguin community,” read a statement from Club Penguin’s creators. “We can’t wait for you to see what’s coming next.”

The Mirror • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Mirror Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *