The Mirror

The Belko Experiment produces satisfying results

+Directed+by+Greg+McLean%2C+The+Belko+Experiment+opened+in+theaters+March+17.
 Directed by Greg McLean, The Belko Experiment opened in theaters March 17.

photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Chris Bateman, Staff Writer

“The Belko Experiment” is an action thriller that is dark enough to make you question your human nature. In it, office employees, who are trapped inside their workplace, are forced to kill each other in a certain amount of time to ensure their survival. It is a horror film that may not be perfect, but it is definitely entertaining and worth seeing.

The movie starts with the employees going about their regular routine at their office in Bogota, Colombia. As the film progresses, audiences get to know the employees of the company Belko. Eventually, a guy comes on the intercom and tells the employees that they must kill a certain amount of workers in a certain amount of time. What they first thought was a prank escalates quickly when someone is murdered Some people are trying to save lives, while others are willing to take them. The morality of the whole situation is in the eye of the beholder.

One of the main characters in the movie named Barry Norris, who was played by Tony Goldwyn, played a character that was both dynamic and likable. John Gallagher jr., who plays Mike Pelk in the film, was captivating in his character’s moral approach to the dark situation. Overall, the actors were well casted and managed to play their characters well.

I did not like the outcome of Melonie Diaz’s character in the film. Her character did not get enough screen-time and the movie misleads audiences at first into believing that she is the main character. Despite that, the movie does a good job of hooking audiences in and making them feel like they are actually there with the characters in the movie. Also, all of the gore in this film is very well organized. After watch death after death, many are left to wonder what is going to happen next. At times, the gore goes a little overboard and can be distracting.

The movie’s defining feature is a plot that calls morality and human nature into question. It calls one’s humanity into question when in threatening situations, and contemplates the idea protecting for the greater good. Mike Pelk was the one character where these themes were most evident. He was trying to protect everyone from what was happening, but could not because he was basically on his own.

This movie is Rated R mostly because of its occasional gore and violence. People who like horror should definitely see it because it is not like the traditional horror movie, with one killer on the loose. Instead, regular people turn into killers for their own survival. This movie has its flaws but is a good horror movie nonetheless that all horror fans would really like.