Drugs tests would improve welfare

Drew Brown, Managing editor

The National Institute of Drug Abuse reports 35% of high school seniors across the U.S. have used illicit drugs in the past month, and data trends show this statistic is not likely to change anytime soon. Some schools are trying to combat this by drug testing their students.

Rockhurst Jesuit High School, St. Ignatius Jesuit High School, Christian Brothers College High School, and St. Edward High School are just a few schools around the country which have started to drug test their student body. It would be beneficial for De Smet Jesuit to drug test the student body.

Many schools do not punish their students but if drugs are detected the student’s parents and school counselor will be informed so they can work through the situation.

The Office of National Drug Control Policy states that drug testing in schools has been tremendously effective at reducing drug use and, most importantly, preventing drug use among teenagers. In a study of Hunterdon Central Regional High School in Flemington, New Jersey, the principal concluded that a random drug-testing policy reduced cocaine use among seniors from 12% to 4%.

Drug testing the student body cost on average are about $40 per person. Considering parents pay over $10,000 to attend a private high school most would not complain about the extra $40. On top of this is the fact that it is well worth the money if it helps a student in need overcome or receive assistance with drug abuse.

Some may argue it is an invasion of privacy for a school to drug test students but this is not the case as shown by many court rulings such as in Schaill v. Tippecanoe School Corporation, Vernonia School District in Oregon v. Acton, and Earls v. Tecumseh School District. The court in all of these cases ruled in favor of the schools.

It is the job of the school to be considered about the well-being of its students and in the case of De Smet Jesuit being a private institution it is a privilege not a right to go to school here so the school has final say. De Smet should drug test once a year in order to help the overall welfare of its student body.